Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fred Taylor Released from Jaguars


After eleven seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Fred Taylor was released Monday.

Taylor who leads the Jacksonville franchise with 2,428 carries for 11,271 yards was placed on injured reserve in the last three games of the 2008 season after tearing ligaments in his thumb

"We felt like the best thing for this football team is what it has to be about. We feel good about the talented group of backs that we have ... and as you work through it, it's difficult to come up with a role that's going to be acceptable for everybody. It makes it awkward. It makes it difficult. We came to an agreement on what the best course of action was as a football team." Said Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio.

“I love Jacksonville, that’s where my heart is. That’s where I want to be,” Taylor told the Florida Times-Union. “But this wasn’t my call.”

This was no surprise though that Jacksonville released their all time leading rusher after losing his starting job last year to the younger Maurice Jones-Drew. Taylor who wanted to finish his career with the Jaguars even offered to take a pay cut to stay, but the organization replied by saying they "wanted to go young".

"This was a difficult decision to come to, but a decision that had to be made despite how we all feel about Fred. We all respect and appreciate what Fred has done, and we feel that he can still play in the NFL, but in our current situation, we believe this is the right move at this time," said new general manager Gene Smith.

“I’m sure it’s a complete shock and surprise to some right now. But I’m just thankful they gave me an opportunity instead of dragging their feet to try to trade me or something like that. Now I have the opportunity to go into free agency for the first time in my career, ever. I’m excited about it," said Taylor regarding his release Monday.

By Christopher Diltz

1 comment:

  1. This is a shame. He's a great back.

    I see him going to Seattle. Morris and Jones just won't cut it.

    ReplyDelete